5 COMMON BEGINNER CALLIGRAPHY MISTAKES

Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso.


Are you new to calligraphy? Have you ever wondered how experience calligraphers do their beautiful work of art?  Have you ever tried doing what they do yet end up being frustrated and near to giving up?

My friend, you are not alone. Most if us, if not everyone have experience this beginner dilemma.

To help you out,  I am listing below the five (5) common mistakes and misconceptions of aspiring calligraphers and how to deal with it.

Warning: It might hurt you a little bit =)


1. Not practicing the BASICS

After reading and watching all the stuff related to brush calligraphy, I decided to buy my first brush pen (forget the name) from National Bookstore. With some scratch papers (back of the paper still blank) from the office(haha), I tried writing the word “minimum” which is according to blogs is the best word to practice the thick and thin strokes. Little did I know that it was hard to maintain the strokes while writing. I was frustrated. 

Too excited  I am (and impatient) during that time, I instantly jump into writing words. That was a mistake. I should have try learning first the fundamentals of brush calligraphy.

Like any kind of hobby, all must start with the basics. By learning the PROPER basics and fundamentals, thick strokes downwards, thin strokes upward, etc,, it can take you anywhere you want to go. You can right any word with confidence.


2. Not using GUIDELINES

Ok, there is a debate here if guidelines are needed in practicing brush calligraphy because somehow it is a free form of writing. Personally for me, learning any kind of calligraphy without guidelines is like learning how to bike without training wheels.

It is essential for aspiring calligraphers to practice with guidelines just like when we started to learn how to write. It can make you practice systematically and can save you a lot of papers! Even experienced calligraphers do it do! 


3. I have a very POOR HANDWRITING!

I am guilty to this. After learning about calligraphy, I was hesitant practicing since I have a very poor handwriting.  It was really a mess and I really don’t appreciate my handwriting up to now.

For a time, I stop practicing, (beside the fact that I started it the wrong way for doing No. 1 and 2), because I have in this mind, that this hobby is not for me! It is for the people with very good handwriting, good cursive writing. Then I stumbled into a website that says “You didn’t need to have a good handwriting to excel in calligraphy.” I was shookt! Is this for real? So I browse the article, read another article.  And it is true! All blogs I had read are saying the same thing. And what amazed me is that after they practice or learn calligraphy, their handwiriting improved! Yeah, there’s hope!


4. Not PRACTICING enough 

Just a bunch of infos about my work. I was 29 when I started to become serious about calligraphy. I am an Electrical Engineer by profession and I worked as Quantity Surveyor in a cost consulting company. My job starts from 8am to 5pm and sometimes work overtime and worst I will have a homework =(. The only time I can do my personal stuff is before and after I qo to work. I usually practice calligraphy in the morning while I am taking my coffee.  If I cannot make it in the morning, I will do it at night before I go to sleep. 10 to 15 minutes practice will do for me.

Why do I do this? Learning something new takes a little adjustment of your time. If you want to learn something, you should dedicate time. It doesn’t have need to be long hours of practicing as long as you do it systematically and continuously. What does practicing do? It will create muscle memory that makes you do things subconsciously. You don’t have to think about the strokes constantly. It will comes naturally. And only practice can do that.


5. I don’t want to continue calligraphy because it is EXPENSIVE  hobby! 

Yes, it can be true. Learning calligraphy can be an expensive hobby to do. You need a lot of papers. You need to buy calligraphy pens and inks. Quality materials is sometimes a little bit pricey. But there are lot of things you can do so that you still practice calligraphy while saving up money. Like using used papers, refilling pens (yes you can do it) and more. I will be discussing this in the future article.


Conclusion

Learning any kind of skill or hobby takes time, effort and patience. You will need to practice and practice more until you are satisfied. What matters is you enjoy what you do. Rock on!

So that’s it for now! If you have questions or want to share something in addition, please leave a comment below. I will be glad to hear it from you!  



Comments

Most Visited Posts

CALLIGRAPHY GUIDELINES GENERATOR